Sunday, May 08, 2005

The Zork of the 2000s

Image hosted by Photobucket.com


I just spent the whole day playing this game and don't regret a minute of it. This is one of the best analytical problem-solving games I've seen in a long time.

This brings back alot of good memories of playing the old Infocom text-based adventures and the text/proto-graphic World Builder Mac games. I credit about 10 to 15 of my IQ points in adult life to playing those games between the ages of 4 to 12. (And yes, I've been able to read, write and type basic and not-so-basic english as long as far back as I can remember.)

Since then, I've worried that video/computer games with stunning graphics and complex player controls were going to crowd out these austere, yet complex and challenging games. Instead I see that IT, and those who utilize it, can expand these types of games to ever more levels of complexity. Notpr0n spans not only the game display, but the "gear and sprockets" behind that display. It utilizes not just set player commands, but the basic commands that the player uses to control his computer. It problems require no just interacting with the program, but utilize other files and applications to solve problems on the program.

In short, I'm really optimistic about living in a world with engineers who can create games like these, and make them available for only the cost of (maybe) closing the occasional pop-up ad.

1 Comments:

At 10:21 PM, Blogger Tom said...

I'm still stuck on #16. How about you?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home